Scot Scoop News

Scotskim: fire

Scotskim: fire

Julia Rhodie, Staff Writer

November 15, 2018


Filed under ScotSkim - quick news briefs

California burns up from fires in north and south Infamous for its sunny days and sandy beaches, the Golden State is gaining a new meaning, as fire rages through both its northern and southern ends. With Camp Fire blazing in the north, and the Woolsey Fire burning through the south, the entire state is crippled by tragedy and debilitating air quality. According to...

Opinion: Election Day should be a national holiday

Opinion: Election Day should be a national holiday

Nina Heller, Staff Writer

September 18, 2018


Filed under Opinion

Only 56 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in the 2016 election, according to Pew Research. What happened to the other 44 percent? Where did they go? While some may have missed the deadlines to vote and some may be battling voter suppression laws, others just simply don’t have the time. ...

ScotSkim: Mollie Tibbits

ScotSkim: Mollie Tibbits

Maya Benjamin, Staff Writer

August 28, 2018


Filed under News, ScotSkim - quick news briefs

On July 18, 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts went missing after going for a jog in Brooklyn, Iowa. Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student, had been staying in Brooklyn with her boyfriend for the summer. After an extensive search that lasted over a month, her body was found on Aug. 21 in a cornfield. ...

Language classes explore cultures in National Foreign Language Week

Language classes explore cultures in National Foreign Language Week

Alexander English, Staff Writer

March 8, 2018


Filed under Campus

This year, National Foreign Language Week falls between March 5 and March 11. It is a week dedicated to looking at other cultures and their languages to discover the importance of diversity. National Foreign Language Week was inaugurated in the spring of 1957 and first occurred in the week of Feb....

Foreign language national exams stump students

Foreign language national exams stump students

Rachel Borshchenko, Staff Writer

March 24, 2016


Filed under Campus

Carlmont students were able to compete with other foreign language speakers during the month of March. Students in French III or higher took the National French Contest, and students in Spanish III Honors or higher took the National Spanish Exam. These tests are both contain four sections: rea...

National titles bring change to the Bay Area

National titles bring change to the Bay Area

Alyssa Fagel, Staff Writer

August 26, 2015


Filed under Sports, Top News

Any sports fan would admit that it has been a pretty great year to live in the Bay Area. Back in October, the San Francisco Giants won their third national title in five years after defeating the Kansas City Royals in the World Series. Eight months later, the Golden State Warriors shocked the entire...

History teacher featured in national commercial

History teacher featured in national commercial

November 6, 2014


Filed under Campus

Money is freedom. Imagine being in a couple of seconds of a commercial and getting paid $625 every 13 weeks as long as it runs. This is what happened to Jaime Garcia. In addition, Carlmont's history teacher was paid $114 because it was aired nationally in the World Series. The commercial is...

The student news site of Carlmont High School in Belmont, California.
national