JV soccer is not able to defend home turf


Seiya Mirande

Sophomore Noah Sanchez trying to play the ball out of the corner and past the defender.

Seiya Mirande, Staff Writer

A strong defensive effort by the Scots was not enough to stop St. Ignatius High School from coming away with the victory.

The Carlmont JV boys soccer team took on the St. Ignatius Wildcats on Dec. 9 in a game that ended in a close 1-0 loss.

From the kickoff, the Scots were not able to get any momentum going offensively.

Both teams put on a great defensive effort, and the game was scoreless until the twentieth minute. The first and only goal of the game came on a penalty kick from Sean Fitzgerald of the St. Ignatius squad.

The first half ended with St. Ignatius up 1-0.

After being shut out the first half, the Scots took a different approach in the second, hoping to get back into the game. Their new high pressure play allowed the Scots to open up the field more and to create more scoring opportunities. This tactic seemed to work as the Scots were indeed able to create shots and focus more offensively. Although the Scots were able to put many shots up, none led to a goal.

“With our fast paced play, we were able to create more scoring opportunities for us,” said sophomore Kaz Ishida.

The closest the Scots came to tying the game up was in the forty-seventh minute when a defensive steal led to a fast break for sophomore Noah Sanchez. This was denied by a deflection from St. Ignatius keeper Finn Fogarty.

As time dwindled, the Scots were not able to put up any final offensive efforts and the game ended 1-0 Wildcats.

“We put up a good effort but they came out on top” said sophomore captain Zane VanArsdel.

Although coming short of a win, the Scots can take many positives from their performance. With a 1-2 record this preseason, the Scots are hoping to shape up before the regular season starts.

“As a team, we have to create more team chemistry if we want to win,” said sophomore Matthew Matias. “We have to communicate with each other more.”

The Scot’s next game will be on Dec. 11 at Woodside High School.