Scot Scoop News

US President Donald Trump delivers his acceptance speech for the Republican Party nomination for reelection during the final day of the Republican National Convention from the South Lawn of the White House on August 27, 2020 in Washington, DC.

A recap from a highly unconventional Republican National Convention

September 8, 2020

Preface: Many of the sentiments expressed in the Republican National Convention stand in stark contrast to past political conventions and elections. With a highly divided, bipartisan...

The Belmont City Council members receive a presentation regarding new voting machines which will be used in upcoming elections.

San Mateo County upgrades infrastructure for upcoming elections

February 28, 2020

In preparation for the upcoming presidential primary election, the San Mateo County is upgrading its infrastructure to better align with modern legislature standards. Since it...

Bloomberg 2020 Sign

California may see delays in the counting of ballots for the next primary

February 27, 2020

With very high odds of a contested convention and 415 pledged delegates up for grabs in California, the primary election on March 3 may make or break a presidential campaign. ...

Pete Buttigieg wins Iowa with 13 of its delegates (Source: Associated Press).

Democratic primaries in the shadow of Iowa

February 14, 2020

The first results of the 2020 Democratic Party caucus came in seven days late, according to the Chicago Tribune. This wasn't supposed to happen. The goal, according to USA Today, was...

President Trump / Gage Skidmore / Flickr / CC-BY-2.0 /        

President Trump speaks to supporters at a convention center in Phoenix, Ariz.

Opinion: The American electorate is not ready for a diverse candidate

January 21, 2019

Speculation clouds the air as Americans begin to wonder which Democratic candidate will face President Trump in the 2020 election. Among those considered by ABC to be most lik...

Donald Trump speaks at a rally in Arizona.

ScotSkim: controversy

November 6, 2018

President Donald Trump posts questionable advertisement On Nov. 1, five days prior to the 2018 midterm election, President Donald Trump tweeted a new advertisement video depictin...

Three incumbents and one outsider are vying for three seats on the City Council.

Op-Ed: Don’t let rhetoric trump reason in Belmont

November 2, 2018

A couple months ago, I published a pretty lengthy article that drew a few conclusions on the nature of development in Belmont and how certain past forces have left us in our pre...

According to Pew Research, only 56 percent of eligible voters voted in the 2016 presidential election. Making election day a national holiday would increase voter turnout and restore the process of civic engagement.

Opinion: Election Day should be a national holiday

September 18, 2018

Only 56 percent of eligible voters cast ballots in the 2016 election, according to Pew Research. What happened to the other 44 percent? Where did they go? While some ma...

San Carlos City Hall houses the Council Chambers where the City Council meets.

San Carlos City Council candidates prepare for election

March 20, 2018

Three new candidates have announced their campaigns for the upcoming San Carlos City Council elections. The elections will be held in November 2018 and three seats will be open. The candidates, Adam Rak, Laura Parmer-Lohan, and Sara McDowel...

Sample ballots help voters ensure that they pick the candidate that they want once they go to vote.

San Carlos voters prepare to hit the polls in school board election

October 5, 2017

San Carlos voters will hit the polls on Nov. 7 for a school board election in the San Carlos School District.   As the voting date nears, sample ballots have been sent out to r...

The 2016 election receives mixed reactions

December 8, 2016

Adriana Ramirez reports on the 2016 election and how it shocked many as the results were not the expected results.

Donald Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States Nov. 8 as he gives a victory speech thanking his campaign staff and making promises for his upcoming presidency.

Bay Area bubble bursts in wake of Trump victory

November 12, 2016

Donald Trump supporters are ignorant, but not as much as Hillary Clinton supporters. As the presidential election drew nearer, the majority of Carlmont's population and the B...

The student news site of Carlmont High School in Belmont, California.