History repeats itself: Virginia Tech shooting

Taken from CBS News

Taken from CBS News

Officer Deriek W. Crouse, age 39, was slain at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University on Thursday, December 8.

According to police, the shooter was a 22 year old male, Ross Truett Ashley. Ashley was a near by part-time student at Radford University.

The reasoning for why this event has occurred is still unknown by police. As of now, Virginia police claim they have no leads on a connection between the gunman and victim, and they are baffled as to why this young man would  commit such a crime.

Just before being shot down by the gunman, Officer Crouse had pulled over a Virginia Tech student, who is now cooperating fully with the police, doing everything possible to put an end to this tragedy.

Around 12:30 p.m. police received a tip from a student saying that an officer had been shot. Within minutes the first alert was sent out via emial, text messages, and electronic signs in campus facilities. SWAT and police vehicles also arrived in a timely manner.

The school was locked down, however panic still spread. Memories of the 2007 shooting, which killed over 30 people, still festered in the the back of students minds.

Fortunately, no other students, officers, or Virginia Tech citizenry were harmed. Ashley, however, after changing his clothes and running to another parking lot, took his own life and was found dead in the parking lot by a Montgomery County sheriff’s deputy.

Crouse will be remembered with honor by his wife, mother, brother, and five children/step-children. And, Virginia Tech police chief Wendell Flinchum said, “his death is a tremendous loss to our department.”

Although it was unfortunate such events occurred, many are thankful for the fact that the shooting was not as severe as the one that took place in 2007.

History has repeated itself as both 2007 and 2011 represent panic, suffering, and suicide at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.