Strong performances fuel varsity girls lacrosse’s victory

Girls varsity lacrosse works together to achieve victory.

Adrian Cunningham

Girls varsity lacrosse works together to achieve victory.

Adrian Cunningham, Staff Writer

The frigid air could not hold off the blazing comeback cooked up by the Lady Scots.

On March 1, the Carlmont girls varsity lacrosse team faced Sequoia for a head-to-head battle on Carlmont turf.

The game opened quickly with Sequoia scoring the first goal of the game five minutes in after bursting through two defenders and placing the shot right over goalie Katie Hill, a sophomore. The same happened in the 15th minute of the game with the Sequoia attacker splitting through two defenders and shooting through Hill’s legs.

Carlmont answered with a missed penalty shot that was shoveled up and carried around the crease into a shot over the Goalie’s right shoulder, placing the score at 2-1, Sequoia.

After winning the next face-off, a Sequoia midfielder hurried down the field and passed to the cutting attacker who pounded the shot into the top left.

The half would end with Sequoia leading 7-3.

Halftime calmed the nerves of the Lady Scots, who came back and within the first couple of minutes scored. From then on, the momentum moved into the sticks of Carlmont, who scored four more times without an answer from Sequoia. The Sequoia team tried to steal the game back with another goal, but Carlmont quickly scored two more goals to gain the lead.

After a rough start in the first half, the team retaliated in the second with quick goals and more communication. This helped them to play together despite the deficit.

“We came out strong and although it took a little while to get into it, we finished that game strong,” said Alyssa Fine, a senior.

This was the first game of the season for the team that came out of a five-win six-loss season last year. Confidence in their experienced players paved the way to success and helped to settle the nerves of younger players.


The final score of the game was 13-9 with Carlmont winning after overcoming a four-goal deficit from halftime.

“I think we did a really good job of communicating and connecting passes up and down the field,” said coach Annie Thompson.

Carlmont’s practices had been filled with conditioning and fundamentals, which were important to the win. The team has been practicing for three weeks in preparation for this game.

As for the future, the players feel they have some improvements to make.

“We need to work on conditioning and being fit in order to improve for next game. There was a lot of running we weren’t prepared for in this game,” said Hill.

The next game will be against Sacred Heart Cathedral at home on March 10.