Varsity boys’ soccer completes draw against Hillsdale


Andrew Shen

One Hillsdale and one Carlmont player fight for possession of the ball.

Andrew Shen, Staff Writer

For the second time, a hard battle fought between the Knights and Scots was left unsatisfied, this time, ending in a 1-1 draw.

On Jan. 31, Carlmont played Hillsdale in a league game on the Scots’ home field.  

Both teams came out with fire and fury to begin the game.

Hillsdale almost got on the scoreboard early as a missed clearance by Carlmont goalkeeper, Jason Korjeff, a junior, almost led to the first goal of the game.

Both teams played aggressively in the first half with many fouls called by the referee. Due to yellow cards, many players from both sides had to leave the field.

The hard defense played by both sides led to scoreless first half.

“Both teams played really hard today. We knew coming into the game that Hillsdale was going to come out really aggressive even though they are at the bottom of the league,” said head coach Will Stambaugh.

Both the Knights and the Scots came into the second half eager to score.

Three minutes into the second half, a pass sent to striker Matthew Matias, a senior, led to a shot-on-goal which almost gave the Scots the 1-0 lead.  

Hillsdale also created chances in the second half. In the 53rd minute, a free kick shot that was on-goal was miraculously saved by substitute goalkeeper Varun Suklikar, a sophomore.

“That was the first time that I dove on my right side, due to my shoulder injury, in over three months and it felt nice to overcome the mental block and save a shot that could have been a go-ahead goal,” said Suklikar.

Later in the 61st minute, Matthew Matias received a pass leading to a strike and goal giving the Scots the 1-0 that they had been eagerly waiting for.

Hillsdale responded with a goal of their own in the 69th minute off a free kick which tied the game up at 1-1.

“We really could have won this game but I think we were too cocky coming into the second half. The opposing team got a goal which was a silly defensive mistake from our side,” said Matias.

The Scots nearly got their second goal in the 75th minute when a corner set up a header by forward Antonio Barba, a senior, which hit the crossbar narrowly missing.

“I thought we played well for the majority of the game, but there is still a lot that we can improve upon,” said Nathan Godwin, a senior.

The Scots had previously met the Knights on Dec. 15.  That game was also a draw, but both teams did not score in that game.