Wildcats terminate Scots’ winning streak in CCS championship


Avery Adams

Forward Dro Avetian fakes out his St. Ignatius opponent before crossing the ball into the center for a shot.

Avery Adams, Staff Writer

Everything was left on the field: blood, sweat, and tears. 

After a long, hard-fought journey, boys varsity soccer’s season came to an end after falling to the St. Ignatius Wildcats on March 3 during their CCS championship game.

“It was an incredible experience to play on such a beautiful field with my teammates. These are the games we live for, they get you so pumped and excited to step onto the pitch,” said Diego Ronderos, a senior. “It was unfortunate we weren’t able to win the whole thing, but it was a season that none of us will ever forget.”

Carlmont seniors got the lead for the Scots just five minutes into the game as Bret Fitzpatrick scored off of a header set by Paul Bastaki’s free kick. However, their lead was quickly lost as the Wildcats retaliated within a minute, tying up the score once again.

The Scots and Wildcats battled throughout the first half as both teams seized opportunity after opportunity.

Goalkeeper and senior Peyton Young rose to the occasion as he dove across the goal to deflect the Wildcats’ persistent shots, supported by the defensive line’s aggressive tackles and clean transitions to the offense.

It was Carlmont boys soccer’s most successful season since 1999. I can only be proud of how well we did.”

— Paul Bastaki

However, during the 21st minute, one breakaway slipped through the Scots’ defensive line.

An opposing offender dribbled down the sideline, crossing the ball on the ground to a St. Ignatius striker, who sent the ball flying to the back of the net, gaining a 2-1 lead for the Wildcats.

Despite their effort, the Scots couldn’t reclaim the lead for the rest of the game.

“We did not show our true potential. We came out too slow in the first half and that set the tone for the rest of the match,” said Bastaki, a center defensive midfielder.

The first half left Carlmont trailing 3-1, however, the second half provided more opportunities for the Scots’ offense.

Carlmont created more scoring chances through set plays and breakaways but the team was unable to capitalize on these opportunities. 

“We really showed amazing determination and superiority throughout the game as well as the whole season, despite losing the championship,” said Bastaki.

The Scots remained resilient as defender Ronderos connected with forward and senior Alex Chernikov to create more offensive chances and shots on goal, but by the 61st minute, the Wildcats were leading 5-1.

“It definitely was not our best performance due to the fact that we conceded five goals, but we did what we could to push back and stay in the game,” said Dro Avetian, a senior.

The Scots gave one final push as Leo McBride, a senior, sent the ball to the back of the Wildcats’ net to narrow the goal deficit. But it wasn’t enough; the final whistle left the Scots facing a 5-2 loss. 

“The journey was fantastic. It was tough for us to make it that far, and numerous players showed amazing talent. It was a heartwarming experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life. It was Carlmont boys soccer’s most successful season since 1999. I can only be proud of how well we did,” said Bastaki.