Sequoia holds on to Terremere Trophy

The Carlmont Scots took on Sequoia in the 62nd annual meeting for the Terremere trophy to close out the 2015 football season.

“This is what we have been waiting for all year, to take back that trophy,” said senior Blake O’Connor.

The game ended in a double overtime victory for the Cherokees, with the final score of 24-21. Sequoia held on to the Terremere for the fourth year in a row, extending their record to 31-30-1 against Carlmont.

“I’m sure the players have a different mindset coming into this game. You can’t avoid that. It’s the rivalry game,” said Sequoia head coach Robert Poulos.

In the first half, both teams grinded through with no offensive flow, ending with a halftime score of 7-0 with only one 30-yard receiving touchdown by the Scots’ wide-receiver Chris Park .

“We just want to keep battling through it. We need to work hard in the second half to extend our lead and get that win,” said senior Theo Chatman.


Sequoia made the most of their opportunities in the second half, getting two interceptions leading to two receiving touchdowns from Jacob Yambao and capturing the lead at 14-7.

But the Scots quickly bounced back with a rushing touchdown from Shanil Patel, tying up the game at 14-14 and heading into overtime.

“In overtime it’s all about making big plays. Whoever makes the biggest play usually ends up winning the game,” said O’Connor.

The Cherokees did just that, with tough goal line defense to hold on to their 3 point lead in double overtime.

“We got lower. Not only did we stop the line, but our linebacker filled into the hole and took the player 3 yards back,” said Poulos.


For some, the game might have been an end to the season, but for the seniors, it was an end to a 4-year chapter.

“Regardless of the outcome of the game, I know we worked hard all year and balled out every Friday night. I got to finish it off with my brothers and the memories I made playing at Carlmont will never be forgotten,” said Chatman.